Monday, May 6, 2013

School Bells

I don't know if it's the nice weather or the start of a busy work period, but the end of the school year tends to creep up quickly and catch me unprepared. The last few days before summer break I'm usually racing around trying to find the perfect presents, all the while staying within a reasonable budget. In the past, my choices have ranged from uninspired (coffee shop gift cards) to downright boring (coffee mugs).

There was that *one* year, when I had a great idea for a group gift and it was a lovely surprise for the teacher... but those "wins" are rare.

So this year, instead of pulling out my hair trying to find last-minute gifts, I'm going to start ahead of time...and get the kids involved. But, don't worry, these aren't your typical homemade gifts. These tokens of appreciation will be high on style, functional and made with love!
  • Give teacher an elegant flowerpot filled with blooms or herbs. You can decorate it (to maintain the elegant factor) and the kids can help by choosing the type of flower and helping plant it. After all, it's springtime... who doesn't love flowers? Even if your child's teacher doesn't have a green thumb (if this is the case, I suggest planting pretty cactus), this present will be a lasting reminder of your little angel. I especially love this chalkboard version from The Robin's Nest... so easy and economical too!
Photo: The Robin's Nest
  • Homemade cookies in a classic, reusable glass jar. If you're that Mom - the one with the killer chocolate chip (or oatmeal raisin?) cookie recipe that all of the students and educators LOVE - why not have your child help you make a batch for their teacher and package it in a classic, yet heartfelt way? I found this sweet version over at Home Is Where They Love You.
Photo: Home Is Where They Love You

The perfect addition to any of these presents is one of our new Loot Bag Packages. At only $5 each, they are a wonderful way to personalize your gift and give teacher something he or she will find useful. Or, if teacher loves to cook, you could include Date Labels or Pantry Labels.

These are a few of my favorites; I hope you find your perfect gift, too!


No comments: