Wednesday, August 17, 2011

They Grow Up So Fast!

My daughter, with a "big girl" braid!
As the summer slowly comes to an end, I am reminded that this is the start of a whole new era for my 4 year old... she's going to "big girl" school in the fall and there's nothing I can do to stop it!  ;)

It's always bittersweet watching my kids outgrow one phase, while beginning a new one. Just the other day, my baby took his first (unassisted) steps. I actually teared up, saying to my husband that this is the last time I'll ever experience one of my babies walking for the first time (we're stopping at two...).

Don't get me wrong, I'm the proudest mama on the block when my kids master their latest skills, but sometimes I just want to slow things down and have some more time to savour the little things. My kids are growing up before my eyes and time is moving too quickly. (Wait! I haven't even taken hand and foot prints of my now-14-month-old! Arrrggghhh! What happened??  Add that to my to-do list!)

I can take comfort in the fact that my daughter's life will be greatly enriched by all the new experiences she'll have at school - making new friends, learning new things and, most of all, developing independence and self-confidence that will help shape who she is as a person. I look forward to all the wonderful stories about her days at school and will revel in the fact that, while I'd love for her to stay little, it's magical to see her growing up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son will be starting JK this year as well. While he is so excited, I feel nervous! I'm getting the new school jitters! He is very ready and I know he'll do great, but why am I not ready? I don't think I'm ready for him to grow up either!

Lisa said...

As a parent, it's tough to go through all these emotions. On one hand you want them to grow up and become this amazing little person, full of personality. On the other hand, you want to hold on to these pre-school years and keep them close. All the best! :)