Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Been Around The Block

French fries. Television. Large chunks of food. What do these things have in common? These are things I would have NEVER imagined letting baby #1 experience. But, guess what? I'm more relaxed with baby #2 and, at 14 months of age, he enjoys them.

Now, before you pass judgment and give me dirty looks, I want to clarify something – I’m a good mom. Not perfect (by far!), but good. I do not give my kids french fries on a regular basis, only occasionally. And, as far as television is concerned…well, it’s easy (they love Dora & Diego!) and it keeps the kids occupied at the end of the day while I get some work done or make dinner. Giving baby large chunks of food, on the other hand, was a tough decision. I have a real fear of my kids choking, so that was a big one to be able to let go of.  I do the best I can and am getting better each day at realizing that it’s okay to be imperfect.

One upside to this whole thing is that baby #2 is so independent, even at such a young age. My goodness, he feeds himself already (and has done so for the past month). The food actually makes it into his mouth! Yeah, I’m shocked, too! ;)

Why, just yesterday I took a few pictures (for posterity) of him playing nicely by himself with his toys. He was occupying himself…didn’t need me…and I couldn’t have been more proud.

With all the talk about Helicopter Parenting and the like, it’s great to know that my “imperfections” as a parent may just be helping my kids.  And, hey, did you know that lemurs come from Madagascar? I didn’t either... until my daughter told me. She learned it from watching Go, Diego, Go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this article. I can so relate. My son is the same age and is very independent also.